6 steps to set up your Google Developer Account
- You will need a Google account. For companies, it is not advisable to use a personal account.
- Head to the Google Play Developer Console and sign in using the Google account you intend to use.
- You should now be on step two: Accept Developer Agreement. Read and review the Google Play Developer distribution agreement based on your region. At the very end of the distribution agreement, there is a drop-down menu where you can select your country and region. The page will immediately be translated to your language. Take note though that you must comply with both the Developer Program Policies and US export law for all the apps that you publish.
- Next, you have to pay the $25 USD registration fee. You first need to set up a Google Wallet – a payment system that is mainly used in the Play Store this is also the method used for your future billings. If you are from within the US, you can avail of the Google Wallet app, card and “Buy with Google” products. The $25 payment is one-time only. Debit and credit cards that are accepted are as follows (take note that your card may not be accepted depending on your region):
- American Express
- Discover (US only)
- JCB (Japan and US)
- Visa Electron (outside US)
- You will be directed to the last step which is to complete your account details like developer name, physical and email address, etc. You can change this later on by signing in to Google Play Developer Console and then going to Settings: “Developer Profile”
- After your registration is verified, you will receive a notification email.
One other thing you may need to set up:
Google Payments Merchant Account
This account will be necessary if you intend to sell your app for a price instead of the freemium model, sell in-app items and for subscriptions. It is easy to set up if you already have a developer account.
- First, check if your area supports registration for Google Payments merchant. There are areas that support the registration of Google Play Developers but not for merchant registration. Also, your apps and products cannot be sold on areas that do not support the Google Payments merchant registration.
- Sign in to the Google Play Developer Console.
- On the side navigation, select “Financial reports”.
- Then select “Setup a Merchant Account now”. You would then be redirected to the Google payments site where you will be asked to provide further information about your business.