What is Pokémon Go Plus?
Pokémon Go Plus is an app peripheral that can be used as a companion for the Pokémon Go app. The peripheral is paired to a smartphone via Bluetooth LE . Some of Pokémon Go Plus features include:
- You can wear the peripheral as a wristband or as a clip for your tie or lapel.
- Light and vibration alert whenever a Pokémon is nearby. The peripheral eliminates the need for constantly checking your phone for the presence of a Pokémon.
- You can throw a Poke Ball with just a press of the button. The peripheral would vibrate to indicate that your attempt was successful.
- The peripheral will also notify you if there’s a PokeStop nearby. It is also possible to collect items like Poke Balls, berries and Pokémon eggs.
There’s a Demand but Is It Really Practical?
As one reviewer in GameStop stated, “The anticipation is unreal!” Even with the $34.99 price tag, it is sold out prior to its September 30 release date. But do the benefits of having this peripheral outweigh its shortcomings? Accept it, even if you’re a die-hard Pokémon fan, you still want to get what’s worth your money, right? Here are several issues that can undermine the need for an app peripheral like Pokémon Go Plus:
- Except for the purpose of convenience, it doesn’t really offer any new functionality which is the selling point of most standalone peripherals.
- And since Bluetooth is used, the paired smartphone should be within the range of the peripheral. Even with the one-time setup, Pokémon Go Plus can’t be truly considered a “standalone” peripheral since it can’t function without the app.
- The smartphone and the peripheral would vibrate at the same time whenever a Pokémon is nearby.
- You can only catch Pokémon species you already captured.
- You can’t control the throw of the Poke Balls. A lot of Pokemon Go users worry that the peripheral is just another way to burn through Poke Balls, facilitating more in-app purchases.
- Pokémon Go’s bugs and glitches would affect the peripheral’s performance.
- You may need to stake out more money to have one. The peripheral is no longer available for pre-order. A lot of people took advantage of this and started selling guaranteed deliveries ten times the original price. You may have wait longer to have one after all.